The Latest News:
The CBSA’s investigation has concluded giving the following margins of dumping:
|Exporter||Margin of dumping
(as a % of export price)
|Beijing Shougang Cold Rolling Co., Ltd. / Shougang Holding Trade (Hong Kong)||3.6%|
|Bengang Steel Plates Co., Ltd. / Benxi Iron & Steel (Group) International Economic and Trading Co., Ltd.||18.4%|
|BX Steel POSCO Cold Rolled Sheet Co., Ltd. / Benxi Iron & Steel (Group) International Economic and Trading Co., Ltd.||14.2%|
|Jiangyin ZongCheng Steel Co., Ltd.||21.1%|
|Jingtang United Iron & Steel Co., Ltd. / Shougang Holding Trade (Hong Kong)||8.5%|
|Yieh Phui (China) Technomaterial Co., Ltd.||15.6%|
|All Other Exporters||53.3%|
|The Separate Customs Territory of Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen and Matsu (Chinese Taipei)|
|Prosperity Tieh Enterprise Co., Ltd.||11.0%|
|Sheng Yu Steel Co., Ltd.||4.8%|
|Yieh Phui Enterprise Co., Ltd.||3.2%|
|All Other Exporters||33.2%|
|Dongbu Steel Co., Ltd.||9.0%|
|All Other Exporters||40.0%|
The full statement of reasons can be found here.
The CITT determined that the dumping of the subject goods has caused injury or is threatening to cause injury to the domestic industry. The full decision can be found here.
The CBSA Investigation:
On July 26, 2018, the CBSA initiated an investigation respecting the alleged injurious dumping of certain corrosion resistant steel sheet from China, Chinese Taipei, India and South Korea. The investigation follows a complaint filed by ArcelorMittal Dofasco G.P.
The goods in question are normally classified under the following tariff classification numbers:
The subject goods are defined in the Complaint as:
Corrosion-resistant flat-rolled steel sheet products of carbon steel including products alloyed with the following elements:
- Boron (B) not more than 0.01%,
- Niobium (Nb) not more than 0.100%,
- Titanium (Ti) not more than 0.08%, or
- Vanadium (V) not more than 0.300%
in coils or cut lengths, in thicknesses up to 0.168 in. (4.267 mm) and widths up to 72 inch (1,828.8 mm) with all dimensions being plus or minus allowable tolerances contained in the applicable standards, chemically passivated, originating in or exported from China, Chinese Taipei, India, and Korea and excluding:
- unpassivated corrosion-resistant steel sheet products;
- corrosion-resistant steel sheet products for use in the manufacture of passenger automobiles, buses, trucks, ambulances or hearses or chassis therefor, or parts thereof, or accessories or parts thereof;
- steel products for use in the manufacture of aeronautic products;
- steel sheet that is coated or plated with tin, lead, nickel, copper, chromium, chromium oxides, both tin and lead (“terne plate”), or both chromium and chromium oxides (“tin free steel”);
- stainless flat-rolled steel products;
- corrosion-resistant steel sheet products that have been pre-painted or coated with organic (non-metallic) coatings, including lacquers or varnishes;
- galvanized armouring tape, which is narrow flat steel tape of 3 in. or less, that has been coated by a final operation with zinc by either the hot-dip galvanizing or the electrogalvanizing process so that all surfaces, including the edges, are coated;
- and tool steel.
Additional product information can be found here.
We will be providing updates on this blog as they become available.
John Reiterowski, DS Lawyers Canada, LLP
DS Customs & Trade team located in Paris, Brussels, Montreal, Toronto, Lima, Singapore, Vietnam, Beijing, Guangzhou, Dakar and Cotonou is at your disposal to provide you with additional information.